Sunday, July 15, 2007

OH DEER!

Zach and I had the fright of our lives driving back from my parents tonight. We were headed into the canyon just talking and trying to watch out for deer (it was near dusk, their favorite time to come out and play on the road) when all of the sudden, there was a deer right in front of us...crossing from the other lane into ours! Zach slammed on the brakes but it was to late, we were still going about 30 mph when we plowed into the deer. THWACK! It was so scary! The noise and slight movement the car hitting the deer made was so scary! Luckily we only kind of side-swiped the stupid doe and she didn't seem too fazed by it all as the she ran off the road afterward.
Seconds after this episode, as Zach and I were still trying to recover our wits, a rabbit ran across the road and made us (or at least me) jump out of our skin (only for a split second, so we didn't really see each other's organs or bones or anything...which is good 'cause that would be gross). Then I saw another doe right on the side of the road hidden in some tall weeds...and a few minutes after that, there was a 4 or 5 point buck in the middle of the road! This time Zach saw him soon enough to brake and honk the horn, and the buck eventually decided to get his big tail out of the road.
I am really glad God was looking out for us in this situation...I think if Zach and I had come through that pass just a few seconds later, the doe might have been all the way in our lane and we probably would have hit her straight on, which would have meant damage to the car and even us possibly.
After we'd passed through the canyon, I kind of wished that I had taken pictures of the deer, as I have never seen a wild buck that close that I can remember ( and I would have had a pic to blog), but Zach said that he felt they were a little too close for comfort...I agree!
Thank God we're okay!

3 comments:

Cindy Loo said...

good thing that doe was walking slow! i swear i have come close to deer so many time, mainly because they just walk slowly and dont seem to care...

Anonymous said...

Scary! I am glad you guys (and the deer too!) are all okay.

janis said...

I am so glad you guys are okay! And I am also glad you don't have to have a car repair. But cars are replaceable...but you know even though it was thick with deer at that time (dusk), there can be deer other times too..guess always have to be so careful and slow through there. Love you!!