Last night, after the bank lobby was closed, but the drivethrough was still open, I had a bad thing happen. This lady who banked here, her name is Mary, pulled up to one of our tube lanes after waiting in line for it (which is dumb, since we have 4 tube lanes and the other 3 were empty). Well, a car pulled up to the window and I took their deposit. Then, after I had the Window's deposit in my hand, Mary sent her tube in. I politely told Mary that it'd be just a second, I had to finish the other deposit. It was hard to hear her, but it sounded like Mary was saying "I was first." Anyways, I told her I'd get it. I finished the deposit that I'd gotten first, which was the windows, then started on Mary's transaction when I noticed her car was gone! She came around to the door, demanded she be let in, then stomped over to me and growled to me "I am closing my account!" I asked her why. "I was there FIRST. I want to close my account. " I was very upset at this point, because regardless of who was there first, we take whoever has thier transaction READY first. Otherwise we would be so backed up...Anyways, so I tried to calmy tell her that I couldn't close her account...and she shouted "You WILL close it!" I then told her quickly that I really CAN'T, a personal banker has to, then I sent her over to Allison.
The whole incident had me pretty shaken up. I knew I was in the right, but I was still very upset. Angie came to me later and I told her what happened, and she reassured me that she was in no way mad at me, that I had done the right thing and that Mary isn't "all there" in the head anyway (which I knew, Mary was always a little...wierd...but she'd always been nice before!). Anyways, that was my night last night...it was horrible
This morning, Allison brought me carnations to cheer me up :)
On another note, I am disappointed in our bank's "policies." This morning, I turned the radio to AIR1, and not 10 minutes later, one of the other girls came and changed it. When I asked why, she said that ANN, our bank president, had told her to. Apparently we can't listen to Christian music because of the "offensive" christian commercials...but we can listen to country songs about drunken cowboys cheating on their wives...I want to say something to Ann, but I am scared to.
Thursday, April 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
wow that is why it must be so hard sometimes to work for the "public" i know amber had several upsetting things happen to her over the years. remember the lady at godfathers that threw a salad at her? i know she told me lots of others things too that i can't remember right now. i am sure she would share those with you sometime you should call her and i know she could sure sympathize with you on this. about the christian radio..that really bothers me alot...any other time i would say to speak up, i will have to think this one over though because being your boss makes it more difficult UNLESS the girl that changed the channel was LYING and it was not the boss but HER that didnt want to listen to christian?? I think if you approached your boss very nicely and maybe just inquired if it would be all right if you listened to your christian channel occasionaly (maybe say you get tired of country music so as not to seem to be critizing those that like country, you know what i mean? In my opinion i would think the fair thing would be that everyone got a turn during the day to listen to what they like for a certain amount of time. or even each employee could have a certain day of there own music. (you could suggest this also nicely if you think it sounds good to you) It surely could be worked out by reasonable people. i wish there was some way for you to find out if it was really your boss or not that wanted the channel changed. i think that is important to how you go about handling it. i think its important we stand up for OUR right to worship Jesus that they are taking away from us everyday but on the other hand you have a great job with great benefits (benefits being very important too)and you sure dont want to jeoperdize your job so this makes the situation more difficult and sticky. I hope amber will comment on what she thinks and if she has run into this kind of thing at any of her jobs. i am still going to think more about this.
I forgot a very important thing and that is i will not only think about this but I will pray about it also. I am afraid this kinda situation is going to happen more and more because the Bible says it will.
Actually, it wasn't just a salad but a salad plate that was tossed at me. hehe - tossed salad.
Working with the public really can suck - I totally agree. People can be really mean. I think it should be a requirement for every person to work in some capacity with the public as that might help some people understand how their words and actions effect others. But then there are other people that just don't care. I have also noticed that the amount of money one makes and gender *generally* effects how someone treats other. My experience has been that Middle class men are the nicest people to deal with. Next are middle class women. People on welfare are more rude than the middle class, maybe because they are used to getting stuff for nothing? And people who are pretty well off tend to be more rude, as they think the world revolves around them and their money.
Oh, one final note. I used to get really irritated at people who would call in to GodFathers when I worked there too who didn't have their order ready. As soon as I would answer the phone, they would say to all their friends in the background "so what do you want?" They should have had that nailed down BEFORE they called. Why make me wait on the phone for 5 minutes while you argue out what you and your buddies want? So during those busy times where our phones were ringing off the hook, I would tell them that I was going to put them on hold so they could figure out their order and then I would go take another call where someone was ready to order. Why make others who are ready to order wait on someone who is not prepared? I think you did the right thing. At least it is what I would have done. After working at a bank and at GodFathers, I always try to have my request ready before I get up to the window. If I don't have it ready, I totally understand that I will have to wait my turn so that others who have their stuff together can be helped first.
hang in their, sounds like you have a great job. once in awhile days seem terrible, but God has us in the palms of His hands and won't let anything terrible happen to us. i'm sure your good days will outway the bad. pray about the radio and maybe ask you boss about it. if not you can still be a great witness to you co-workers.
in Christ,
Cory
Post a Comment