Monday, April 30, 2007

Shocking Sandal Story leads to a Convicting Conscience

Yesterday I tried on a pair of sandals and really liked them, so I grabbed a nice box in my size and bought them. When I got home, I said, "look at my new sandals Zach!!!" I pulled them out of the box and Zach made a funny face. When I looked at them, I realized why...they were hideous! I had grabbed the WRONG BOX!

When I brought them back to exchange for the right ones, I was happy when the ones I wanted were 4 dollars cheaper! So I walked out the doors happy with my sandals and $4 richer than when I walked in. As I was driving out of the parking lot, I saw a woman standing there with a sign that said, in a nutshell, "single mother, unable to find work, please help." I did the normal reaction of averting the eyes and drove on past.

Immediately I felt bad. I wrestled with myself and then the thought came to me...I had $4 that I didn't know I had, and maybe that was meant for this lady who was down on her luck. I turned around and headed back...I decided to give her all my one dollar bills...totaling $7. I also had a $5 bill, but was going to keep it...I couldn't...I had to give it to her. So I stopped to give her all my cash, $12 total, and told her that God made me turn around...She was really nice...her name was Amanda I think she said, and apparently she lost everything in California (she didn't tell me how) and she had too kids, Maggie and Lumpy (nickname, I don't remember what she said his real name was). I told her "God Bless" and that I would be praying for her (which I plan to continue doing for awhile). I don't even know if she had a place to live...

I can not explain the feeling. I felt so...happy...that I had done that. I'm not the richest person in the world, and I know it was only $12, but I felt...good...happy...

2 comments:

janis said...

I know that feeling you get when you help someone. I feel that way about Cindys and my compassion child. A warm fuzzy feeling. I also feel that way when I donate to the animal shelter and to the ASPCA. But like I was saying last night, I am leery of on the street people with signs. I am leery because we have programs for them, salvation army, churches, etc. they dont need to be on the street like that. They could also be setting you up to rob you or worse. Having said that though, I know you felt led to do it, and it all worked out so I am glad of that :) But as a rule I would not do it.

Cindy Loo said...

im going to volunteer around town this next year, just because i WANT to help but also it looks really good on resumes after college, they know i care for the community.