Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"Seizing" the WRONG moment

Monday night after work, I was feeling a little tired, so after watching tv with Zach for a little while, I told him I was going to bed. The next minute, I was in the middle of a very strange dream, or nightmare... I was laying down and there was a nice guy rushing around me. He asked me, "Do you know what's happened?" At this point I got a little scared and tearly said "noooo..." He asked me if I knew what town I was in, to which I frustratingly thought about for a bit, but had to answer, with more tears, "nooo." He asked me what day it was, to which I again struggled for the answer but couldn't remember. Finally he asked me what my name is, and finally i was able to answer correctly, with my full name. The EMT told me I'd had a Seizure and we were on the way to the ER right now. He was very nice. I remember that's when I realized, faintly, that I was in an ambulance, I saw the McDonalds sign glowing out the window.

Apparently, only a few minutes after I lied down in bed, Zach heard me groaning. At first he thought maybe I was playing around, "crying wolf" so to speak, but he came in to check on me anyway. When he came in, he found me in the middle of a seizure and choking on my tongue. He turned me onto my side and called 911 and by the time they got there, the seizure itself was over, but the effects remained. Zach told me that even though I was really out of it, when I saw those men in my bedroom, I made a funny look and pulled the blankets up over my half-nakedness.

So we went to the hospital and waited in the ER for hours while they gave me cortozone to prevent shock, gave me a CAT Scan and finally got me an actual room at 1am. I was very thankful for all the of the love and support I got from family and friends. Mom drove up, as well as Zach's parents, Ryan and Joanna were there, and Jeremy, Cindy and Nikki were all there. When we finally got our room and to sleep, it was nearly 3 am. Mom and Zach decided that she would stay the night at the hospital with me as he sometimes snores and keeps me up, and was worried his snoring would mask the noise of another seizure. Apparently I slept like a log, mom too I think. I just learned this today as we were checking out, when the nurse said that they had come in and checked vitals all night long, and I never stirred, neither did momma.

We are finally out of the hospital now, the MRI, EEG and CAT scans all came out well, nothing visibly wrong there, so now we have a decision to make; get on the Seizure Prevention medication now, so this will never happen again or be carefull for awhile and hope that this was an isolated incident. The worst thing about the first option is that there is a possibilty that I will never have another seizure and would be taking yet ANOTHER medication, and Brian says he has a friend who opted that way, and now wants to get off of it, but the doc is telling him that will CAUSE a seizure. The bad part about not taking the medicine is that I could have a seisure while walking up/down the stairs, swimming, driving etc. So Zach and I will be researching and really checking this out in the next week or so, meanwhile, per law, I cannot drive a car for 90 days now, because of the seizure.

Your prayers are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are home and safe now. That phone call from Zach scared me so much! I love you.

Cindy Loo said...

well till u decide i will get 2 hang out with you alot:)

Anonymous said...

Karen - Marilyn and I want you to know that we prayed for you this morning and will continue to do so. May you know God's special power and presence in your life.

Dave and Marilyn Reimer

Anonymous said...

I love you Karen!!