Saturday, May 24, 2008

I think we might be in Kansas now Toto

Thursday was interesting as we and a lot of surrounding areas actually got hit by tornadoes. We hardly ever get tornado watcheshere, let alone tornadoes that actually touch ground!

The weather had started getting bad and the sky was gray when I checked the weather online. We had heard that there was a tornado watch, but the internet said there was actually a tornado warning in effect for Laramie, and that a tornado was actually headed toward us at 40+ miles per hour! I immediately told one of my supervisors, and we were wondering whether we should take cover in one of the vaults when the wind and hail hit full force! It was so loud and scary, we all bolted for that vault!
After a few minutes in the vault, the power flickered and then went out for good. After hours of standing around and wondering what was going on (as we had only an electric radio) and hearing crazy reports from friends/family from cell phones, we learned that the several places had been hit, including a gas station and trailer park only a couple miles away from the bank!
The power at our house was also out, and remained out until about 10pm...the power at the bank still hadn't come back on friday when Zach and I left to visit his family around 4pm...and not expected to come back on any time soon. It may be on now, I hope! Here are a couple pics from the newspaper, I will try to take pics when I get home if the damage hasn't all been cleaned up yet.



I saw them hauling away a bunch of branches yesterday, probably from this poor tree!


Here they are trying to fix the damaged power lines that were the reason the whole town was out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got through the storm ok, I am glad you had the vault to go into, I am glad you have 3 days off now to rest, I am glad of that!

Cindy Loo said...

apparently 37 power lines were down...crazy huh?